Sunday, June 13, 2010

STIMULI

STIMULUS # ONE:
A JUMBLE OF INFORMATION.

I deconstructed four seperate garments and then pieced them back together in a rearranged order. Garments included: white shorts; a white tailored jacket; a cream sleevless dress and a pair of jeans. I kept white and denim constant to make the piece appear cohesive, yet still an obvious jumble of information.

During the process, the aim was to collate as many details as possible so that a vast selection is available for participants to respond to.






STIMULUS # TWO:
CONTEXT INFLUENCES PERCEPTION

For this stimulus, I was aiming to create an object that is completely open to interpretation, with an interest to see whether participants will relate it to a garment, given the fashion context. I think I will paint the sculpture the colour of denim. This way, the fact that it is blue may provoke a more obvious correlation.

I found the process slightly difficult, (though enjoyable) as I didn't quite know how to create something from the clay that included enough information that could be interpreted in different ways. I decided to begin with a shape that resembled a long sleeved garment. Eventually, I ended up with something much more abstract.









STIMULUS # THREE:
REMOVING THE DETAIL

With this item, I was intending to create something that would provoke an altered perception by the fact that obvious details have been removed. I chose to work with generic jeans, where the waistband and belt loops were removed. I also decided to sew the legs together so that the item could no longer be considered pants. I am curious to find out what people will write about and how it will be interpreted. Also, with all of the stimuli, how it will be documented.







STIMULUS #4:
CHANGING THE MATERIAL

The aim of this object was simply to change the nature of the material. I wanted to test whether participants would make an association with other objects within their response. I set a large volume of silicone flat, then cut pattern pieces, which were then handsewn together. I think the outcome is really successful. Lots of people wanted to know what material it was that I was using.




1 comment: