Monday, April 12, 2010

FASHION-OLOGY

I've actually started reading this book, written by Yuniya Kawamura. I've actually also just put it down. The first chapter was so insightful and from it, I've recognised some really great quotes. I skimmed through the remainder of the book, but the philosophies seemed not to make sense without me having to read them three times, so I settled for the great quotes from chapter one.
Here are some of my favs:

"Fashion is a belief that is manifested through clothing."

"...fashion is an untangible object."

"We are apt to think of clothes as we do of our bodies and so to appropriate them that they become perhaps more than any of our other possessions, apart of ourselves... this intimate part of our material possessions."


The book clearly distinguishes 'fashion' as a concept that differs from words like garment, clothing, dress, costume etc. Fashion is untangible. Fashion is a belief.

Does the 'real' garment, that Barthes speaks of in 'The Fashion System' need to be considered or even exist at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment