Thursday, April 15, 2010

FURTHER EXPLORATION

During the Easter break, I set out to further this materials study. My substance of choice was cornflour. I wanted to see how far I could push the cornflour, treating it in four different ways to create four different 'garments'. The first method was to use the cornflour in it's most basic form - dry and loose.




'Putting on' my hat was mildly hillarious. Though, not in any way did I feel like I had put it on, or that it was on. Perhaps the item needs to remain somewhat reminiscent of its orignial structure. Haha, or maybe I just felt like an idiot who was throwing flour over her head.



I added water and colour, to hopefully end up with a substance less flour-like.



Ohhhh such a fab colour! I cooked a pink sock in the microwave. Small samples of the flour and water went great and rubbery, but the sock was more biscuit-like and crumbled a bit. But that didn't stop me from putting it on.


So far, I had not experienced the emotional or physical sensation of being dressed. I decided to make a garment to cover my naked body. I piled some of the cornflour concoction ontop of a gladwrap singlet and proceeded to put it on.


This sensation differed from the others. More along the lines of my class experiment, where I felt as though the hair gel and soap were more valid in terms of 'putting on' a garment. Unlike the cooked sock, the loose flour hat and the dough thong, the singlet had not disintegrated during the process so much that I felt I was no longer wearing it.

Was it the process of smoothing the sinlget on?
Was it simply that I was naked before, but now my breasts were covered?
Was it the left over residue - the stickiness on my skin?

I no longer felt naked after smoothing on the garment. Dressed? No. Since it was a material I was unfamiliar with. But definately not naked. So then is it just the fact that my body was covered? If I paint a garment onto my body - with seams - implying the actual shape of a sinlget perhaps I would feel dressed.

It's interesting too, that after the experiment, I had felt it neccessary to fill in the gaps to pose for a photo. For some reason in my mind, it meant that the photo of myself 'wearing' my 'singlet' was more valid if the straps were obvious and the silhouette was more sinlget-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment